Wednesday, May 19, 2010

EVERYDAY RAPTURE A FOLLOWUP THOUGHT

I didn't care much for EVERYDAY RAPTURE when I saw it off broadway last year and it's move to Broadway has not altered my opinion of it. It is still a flimsy sort of tru-ish story about a young woman's journey to semi-stardom built around the engaging personality of it's star and co-author [with Dick Scanlan] Sherie Rene Scott.
Trouble is that Ms. Scott is not telling a very interesting story, and as engaging as she is, she can't sustain it for the whole 90 minute running time.
The show uses songs associated with her career and an 5 peice band makes them sound teriffic in Tom Kitt's swinging orchestrations, but EVERYDAY RAPTURE runs out of steam long before it is over, and Ms. Scott has been used to better advantage in other shows. I am sure that Iam in the minority when I say this because most people seem to like it alot.
AT THE AMERICAN AIRLINES THEATRE 227 WEST 42 st. N.Y.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment